Board Member, National Housing Federation
Central London with some national travel
About the National Housing Federation
The National Housing Federation (NHF) is the voice of housing associations in England. The Federation’s members provide two-and-a-half million homes for more than five million people, and each year they invest in a diverse range of neighbourhood projects that help create strong, vibrant communities. The NHF currently has more than 900 members, who between them own and manage over 90% of the country’s housing association properties.
The NHF’s Mission is “to create the environment for our members to thrive and deliver on their social purpose”. This is supported by the Federation’s vision of “a country where everyone can live in a good quality home they can afford”. These goals are underpinned by the NHF’s core value of putting its members at the heart of everything it does, working together as one team to deliver its mission and its three strategic themes:
The NHF is currently working towards its core aim: “By 2019, our members will be independent, private businesses that exist for social good, taking charge of their own destiny and providing the homes the country needs.” This aim, and detail on the Federations’ three strategic themes, can be found in the NHF’s 2016-19 Business Plan.
About the role
As one of the NHF’s Board Members is coming towards the end of their term, the organisation is now looking for a senior leader currently working with a housing association (in either an executive or non-executive capacity), with previous experience as a board member or experience of working closely with boards. Other essential experience includes the following:
- Strategic leadership, vision and a collegiate approach
- Governance expertise and strong analytical skills
- A track record of effective stakeholder relationship management and ambassadorial activities
- A passion for and good understanding of the social housing sector
Our current Board is not sufficiently reflective of the diversity of our members and the communities our sector exists to serve. We are especially keen to take a step towards changing this and strongly encourage applications from BME candidates.
For further information about this role, please download and review the recruitment pack. If, having read the pack, you would like an informal and confidential discussion about the role, please contact a member of the Altair team:
- Steve Douglas, Co-Chief Executive – mobile: 07810 152840, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sarah Palmer, Head of Executive Search and Interim Management – mobile: 07806 602933, email: email@example.com
How to apply
To apply for the Board Member position at the National Housing Federation, please complete our online registration form and attach the following documentation (saving your documents with your last name, followed by your first name and a description of the file):
- A detailed CV of no more than four pages, including details of positions held and dates (including achievements of relevant to a non-executive position)
- A supporting statement of no more than four pages, explaining your motivation in applying for this position at the NHF and addressing how you meet the competencies outlined in the Person Specification
- Full contact details (name, job title, organisation, phone and email) for two referees (including your current employer if applicable). Please note that we will not take up references without your prior permission
- A completed Recruitment Monitoring Form
The closing date for applications is 9:00am, Monday 4th June 2018. The job reference code is ALT212.
Your application will be acknowledged and treated with strictest confidence.
Download the required files