“While our workforce is diverse, this is not reflected in our leadership, which remains too white, too old and too male. Just look at me!”
Steve Stride (then-Chartered Institute of Housing President), 2014
What is Leadership 2025?
L&Q, Optivo and the BME London Group, in partnership with Roffey Park, have come together to offer an intensive 9-month leadership development programme available exclusively to senior leaders from BME backgrounds working in the housing sector. The programme will cover the full range of core leadership competencies and will prepare individuals to become the sector leaders of the future.
Why this programme, and why now?
In many areas, the housing sector is ahead of the curve on diversity and inclusion in employment.
Research from the Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) shows that the housing sector is:
- More diverse than other sectors
- Employing a higher proportion of women
- Employing more people from BME communities
- Employing more people with disabilities
But where the sector falls short is in the proportion of BME people in key leadership roles. It is disproportionately small with just 4% of senior leadership roles held by individuals from BME backgrounds.
There is talent in the sector, but it is not coming through. In response to this challenge, L&Q, Optivo and the BME London Group, in partnership with Roffey Park, have joined forces to develop a leadership programme – Leadership 2025. This programme will help guide senior BME leaders in housing to navigate the glass maze of executive leadership and become the sector influencers of the future.
“The CIH Presidential Commission on Leadership and Diversity identified some big sector challenges to facilitate inclusion at the top. Leadership 2025 is one powerful solution. I’m delighted to see the sector is ready to take action.”
Terrie Alafat, (CIH Chief Executive), 2017
Why should I enrol?
Leadership 2025 participants will:
- Gain a critical understanding of how a senior leader delivers within the sector
- Increase their ability to think strategically and develop their agility in response to uncertainty
- Learn from live business issues in organisations that may be very different to their own
- Build and learn from a network of peers within the housing sector
- Be empowered to think and act differently as leaders
- Lead with more confidence and authority to achieve greater impact and presence
- Develop their analytical, critical thinking and business research skills
- Gain a recognised accreditation from a leading business school
- Be in a stronger position to apply for, and succeed in, senior roles within the housing sector
What does the programme cover?
1. 360-degree feedback
The Leadership 2025 programme kicks off with a comprehensive 360-degree feedback tool which provides participants with insight into how they are perceived as a leader, using eight leadership competencies:
- Providing direction
- Influencing others
- Fostering teamwork
- Developing others
- Motivating others
- Championing change
- Consciously learning
2. Launch day
Taking place in November 2017, the launch day is the first opportunity for the group to work together and covers:
- Mapping the Field of Leadership – understanding the field of leadership within the context of the housing sector and beyond
- Where Have I Been? – exploring the journey participants have taken which has made them the senior leaders they are today
- Where Am I Now? – reviewing the results of their 360-degree feedback survey
- Where Do I Want To Go? – developing the learning contracts that will underpin the programme
3. Leadership 2025 Core Programme
These one-day sessions form the backbone of the programme and provide participants with a comprehensive and unique learning experience. Each day will be a combination of reflective, peer group and practical learning on topics tailored to the group’s needs. Held at different organisations’ locations, these learning sets are supportive, challenging and rigorous. This will give a unique opportunity to dive deep into, and learn from, other organisations in the sector.
4. Strategic Leadership Programme
Each participant will attend Roffey Park’s Strategic Leadership open programme and learn from peers across the private, public and not-for-profit sectors. Delivered over a period of nine months, the programme comprises of:
- Residential programme (3.5 days) – topics covered are designed to develop an understanding of the importance of:
- organisational purpose
- the ability to lead with strategic agility
- navigating the complex and political nature of organisations to get things done
- Learning set days with ‘Organisational Raids’ (3 x 1 day) – the aim of this element is to develop strategic thinking and work on live case studies of visits to other organisations, hosted by set members. These visits will provide a rich and rewarding experience, combined with the chance to learn from organisations outside the housing sector.
- Final Residential and Strategic Stock-take (1.5 days) – Finally, the group will come together to review their learning journeys on the programme and cover two new topics:
- Leading in a Digital Age
- Leading with Presence
5. Mentor support
Each participant will be provided with a mentor throughout the programme who will be a leader within the housing sector. This mentoring support may include master classes on finance and treasury management, the complexities of development, and other key knowledge areas.
The aim of this support will be to provide practical tips, personal experience and learning to supplement the programme.
6. Additional learning opportunities
Participants will also have the opportunity to take advantage of a range of optional offers to consolidate their learning. These include mentoring and coaching, as well as a 25% discount on other leadership programmes offered by Roffey Park.
Fees and further information
The cost of the Leadership 2025 programme is £6,375 plus VAT.
Leadership 2025 participants can choose to attend other Roffey Park programmes and receive a 25% discount on fees, which would be an additional cost to participants’ organisations and invoiced at the time of booking.
This programme is open to any senior BME leaders working in housing associations. Places are limited to six per cohort. On submitting an application, candidates will be invited to attend a selection process which will consist of a formal interview and a short presentation, which will take place in early September.
The deadline for applications is 5pm, Friday 18 August 2017.
To apply for the programme, please complete our online application form and attach the following documentation:
- An up-to-date CV of a maximum of four pages
- A supporting statement outlining your motivation for applying to the programme and evidencing your suitability for selection, of a maximum of two pages
- A statement of recommendation from your sponsoring organisation, of a maximum of one page (please attach this under “Other Documentation”)
For an informal and confidential conversation about the programme, please contact:
- Gina Amoh, Chair of the BME London Group and CEO at Inquilab: email@example.com
- Kate Dodsworth, Executive Director of People & Strategy at Optivo: Kate.Dodsworth@nulloptivo.org.uk
- Steve Douglas, Partner at Altair Ltd: firstname.lastname@example.org