Legal, administrative and funding structures, commercial property, market renting, investment funding and structuring.
Derek is Chair of the Altair and Aquila Services Group plc (Altair's parent company) Boards. He possesses a wealth of housing sector experience: prior to joining Altair, he was co-founder and Managing Director of HACAS Group plc, a successful quoted social housing consultancy that became a major subsidiary within Tribal Group, where he was Executive Director of Treasury Services.
During his career, Derek has advised and project-managed for European governments and cities, UK government departments, local authorities, housing associations, commercial property companies, investors and financial institutions, in addition to structuring joint ventures for numerous organisations. He has also worked as both editor and guest editor of Social Housing Magazine.
Derek now divides his time between a number of senior roles across multiple organisations and is a consultant on a number of major funding projects for affordable housing.
Recent projects that Derek has been involved in include:
- Working with commercial companies to set up joint ventures with affordable housing groups
- Advising on funding and investment policies of major charities
- Working with major housing groups on future strategies
- Leading on major contracts with governments, World Bank and other agencies to develop affordable and volume house building in Africa
HACAS Group plc – Co-founder and Managing Director
Tribal – Executive Director of Treasury Services
Homeless International – Voluntary Director
Altair Ltd - Chair
Tempus Wharf Freehold Ltd – Chair
Pioneer Theatres Ltd – Director
First Choice Estates Ltd - Director
- Report for the National Audit Office on the effectiveness of financial management in housing associations
- Author / co-author of three books on the future financing of housing associations
- Numerous research reports for government departments, regulating authorities, trade bodies and universities