Treasury and funding. strategic business planning, merger and pre-merger business planning, due diligence reviews, development feasibility modelling, treasury management, financial viability reviews, strategic financial advice and providing financial training for boards.
Jim is a qualified Chartered Accountant who has worked as a consultant in the housing and local authority finance sectors for the past 20 years.
He has been involved in a range of treasury assignments including funding options appraisals, new and refinancing and treasury review work.
He has recently acted as Interim Finance Director for a major Welsh HA and care provider where he introduced a new business planning and risk process and managed the restructuring of the £250m loan portfolio to include a £35m private placement and removal of restrictive gearing covenants.
Jim has an in-depth knowledge of supported, sheltered and extra care housing finance having worked with a range of providers giving financial, management, revenue grant planning and regulatory advice. He also has wide experience of merger and pre-merger business planning and due diligence reviews for both housing and care providers.
He has worked extensively with the regulators of housing, including leading on a programme of annual viability reviews on behalf of the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) and working on a range of assignments on behalf of the Scottish Housing Regulator (SHR) and on the development and implementation of the financial viability review process with the Housing Agency Regulatory Office in Ireland.
Jim is an approved person under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 and is entered in the Financial Services Register as a matter of public record
Recent projects that Jim has been involved in include:
- Treasury strategies, funding options appraisals and funding advice for medium sized RPs.
- Financial viability reviews on behalf of the Housing Agency Regulation Office
- Interim Finance Director, providing strategic financial support, for one of the largest housing associations in Wales over a two-year period.
- Financial Viability Reviews of Registered Providers for the Homes and Communities Agency.
- IDA preparation and mock assessments for three medium sized RPs
- Financial viability advice for registered social landlords in Scotland, working closely with the SHR.
- Strategic business planning, financial modelling and facilitating a board away day
- Providing training and with Boards to develop strategic financial planning and stress testing
- Development of a flexible tenure model for a consortium of housing associations in the South East and further rolled out to a housing association based in Wales.
- Financial governance work with several RPs
Altair – Director Finance team
Tribal Consulting, Director - Housing Finance Team
Starfish Consulting Ltd (a supported housing consultancy), Founding Director
National RP, Finance Director
London Chartered Accountancy Firm, Audit Manager