Are you passionate about Bury and its communities? If so, we hope you are excited by the prospect of chairing a housing association providing safe and affordable homes to our residents and championing our communities to secure a better future in the dynamic economic, social and political environment that is Bury.
About the role
- Time commitment: Chair – up to two to three days per month and Independent Board Member – up to two days per month. All board and committee meetings start at 5pm
- Remuneration: Chair – £8,000 per annum. Board Members are unremunerated but expenses will be paid
- Meeting location: All meetings are currently taking place online. Hybrid meeting options are under consideration and the office is in Knowsley Place, Bury
- Closing date: 10:00am Monday 11 October 2021
STH was formed in 2005 and is an Arms’ Length Management Organisation (ALMO) managing and maintaining over 7,700 homes on behalf of Bury Council. As a Registered Provider we own 103 properties in our own right.
We are in our first year of a new 10-year Management Agreement with Bury Council and look forward to a positive future, working in close partnership with them to support our 17,207 customers.
We are entering an exciting period of growth and innovation as we build back our communities from the impacts of COVID-19 better and stronger for the future. We provide much more than good quality housing. We deliver a diverse range of services that not only ensure the homes we manage and own are maintained to a high standard, but also enrich communities, transform lives and support local economic growth.
Social purpose remains at our core and our mission statement is: Great Communities, Excellent Services and Inspiring People. By doing this, we are helping the Council deliver its bold ambitions and protect its assets; ensuring its neighbourhoods remain sustainable, its communities are empowered, and the life chances of its residents improve.
We remain firmly rooted in the communities we serve and have developed deep connections with our customers, the Council, and our partners. This makes us unique, and we are proud of the contribution we make to the local economy and the wellbeing of the borough’s residents.
As an organisation we are investing heavily in technology and digital solutions to meet our changing customer and workforce needs, improving access to services and ensuring our staff are able to work at times and in ways that best suit them and our customers. Ongoing scrutiny of our performance and the services we provide by the Customer Review Group will ensure we continue delivering improvements to services and performance.
We are focused on ensuring we are ‘future fit’ and plan to deliver an inclusive growth strategy that strengthens our financial resilience and supports the delivery of Bury’s 2030 ambitions. This includes the continual development of our commercial Repairs Direct operations, which secured STH in excess of £685k surplus in 2020/21.
STH has worked hard to become an organisation with governance arrangements that provide strong leadership, effective control, and constructive challenge. We foster an environment in which the Executive and their teams can thrive and deliver the corporate aims.
About our new Chair and Independent Board Member
As part of our Board succession plan, we are looking for a new Chair who will formally take up the role in December 2021 and an Independent Board Member with strategic asset management expertise. In addition to the usual broad range of experience and skills, an affinity to STH, its history, communities, economies and future is essential for both roles. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion is also an important consideration for us as we are keen to continue to have a Board that includes people from a range of backgrounds and different life experiences. We provide a detailed induction process and on-going board development and training.
How to apply
- A detailed CV of no more than 2,000 words, including details of positions held and dates (including achievements relevant to a non-executive position)
- A supporting statement of no more than 2,000 words, stating which role you are applying for and explaining your motivation in joining the Board at STH and addressing how you meet the knowledge and experience requirements listed in PART ONE of the relevant Person Specification
- Full contact details (name, job title, organisation, phone and email) for two referees (including your current employer if applicable). Please note that we will not take up references without your prior permission
- Completed recruitment monitoring form (see Appendix 3 – a Word version is available as a download from here) The equal opportunities monitoring form will not be shared with the recruitment panel.
The closing date for applications is 10:00am Monday 11 October 2021. Your application will be acknowledged and treated with strictest confidence. The reference code is ALT308.