Are you passionate about supporting refugees and migrants? Would you like to be part of a housing association committed to being a good landlord and to provide a safe space, place and environment for migrants and refugees in London whilst also developing their potential? If so, this could be the perfect role for you.
About the role
Remuneration: £6,000 per annum
Commitment: minimum 2 days a month
Arhag was founded in 1979 to respond to an urgent need for housing and support amongst Britain’s fast-growing refugee and migrant communities. We have grown from those humble beginnings and now own and manage over 900 homes across fifteen boroughs, fourteen in London including a hostel in Stratford for people who need support and guidance to build a future in one of our communities.
We are ambitious and are looking to build on our past success of being the ‘go to organisation’ on addressing issues facing refugees and migrants and to take that further, providing a wider range of involvement activities and influence for Arhag to develop our offer.
We have had a busy few years. We expanded our services to provide a one-stop-shop for services and advice on employment, health and immigration issues in our bespoke offices in Stratford in 2019 and we appointed a new Chief Executive and four new Board members in 2021.
We are a key partner in BME London Landlords a group of thirteen BME led housing organisations and are seeking new ways to support our tenants and residents to fulfil their potential through partnerships and innovative projects.
About our new Chair:
We are seeking a new Chair, to lead the Board in September 2022. We are looking for an individual who shares our passion, who is excited and motivated by what we have already achieved and has the skills and ambition to drive our mission for the next stage of our journey which include:
- A passion for supporting refugees and migrants
- Customer focus and insight
- Strong track record of developing services and partnerships
- An ability to lead a team and become an ambassador for Arhag
Social housing experience is not essential but you will have experience of operating at a senior level as an executive or non-executive within a customer focused organisation.
Arhag is committed to supporting and promoting equality, diversity and inclusion, at all levels. We are keen to attract a wide range of candidates to this role and would particularly welcome applicants from BAME candidates.
If the prospect of playing a leading role in shaping the future of our ambitious organisation excites you then please visit:
To find out more please visit our microsite – https://micro.green-park.co.uk/altair-arhag/
How to apply
To apply please complete our online registration form, attaching the following documentation:
- A detailed CV of no more than three pages of A4, including details of positions held and dates (including achievements relevant to a non-executive position).
- A supporting statement of no more than three pages of A4, explaining your motivation in joining as Chair of Arhag and addressing how you meet one or more of the skills listed and knowledge and experience of the Person Specification of Chair.
- Full contact details (name, job title, organisation, phone and email) for two referees (including your current employer, if applicable). Please note that we will not take up references without your prior permission.
- Please also complete our online recruitment monitoring forms separately.
You will receive an automated acknowledgement. Your application will be treated with strictest confidence.
The closing date for applications is 10am Monday, 6th June 2022 and the role reference code is ALT320