- Further Information
- Sarah Palmer
- 07806 602933
Board Co-optee and DevCo Board Member, Peaks and Plains Housing Trust
Board meetings held in Macclesfield on Tuesday evenings
Remuneration: £4,999 per annum plus expenses
About Peaks and Plains
Peaks and Plains is a Housing Association and Community Benefit Society, registered as Cheshire Peaks and Plains Housing Trust, based in Macclesfield and working mainly across East Cheshire and the High Peak local authority areas. We own and manage over 5,000 properties in the area, comprising predominantly general needs properties, with additional housing for older people, supported housing and some affordable ownership properties. The Trust is committed to improving the lives of both its residents, and those in the communities in which the Trust operates, investing in town centre regeneration as well as new homes. We have a workforce of nearly 200 staff and our annual turnover last year was just under £30m.
Peaks and Plains has experienced some challenges over the past 12 months. Having identified compliance issues in 2019, the Board commissioned an independent review of asset health and safety and consequently self-referred to the Regulator of Social Housing. In December 2019, the Regulator confirmed that Peaks and Plains had failed to meet the Homes Standard and consequently downgraded our regulatory governance grading to G3.
As a result of a thorough review, we have a robust action plan in place and improvements are ongoing. We are confident that we will restore, and indeed improve upon, a high standard of governance at the Trust. We are therefore ambitious and positive about our future. Although our current strategic plan provides for further growth and investment of circa £100m in the period 2018 – 2023 to develop about 750 new homes across all tenures around Macclesfield, the Board recognises that this ambition, along with our strategic plan needs to be reviewed. Whilst the size of the programme might reduce, our commitment to providing new homes and improving our housing stock remains firm and we envisage an ongoing programme of cross-tenure development and regeneration of some of our poorer performing stock.
Our new executive team has been working hard to implement the action plan. We have recently recruited a new Chair, a couple of Board Members and an Audit Committee Co-optee to further strengthen the skills on our Board.
For further information about Peaks and Plains please visit: https://www.peaksplains.org/
Other useful information:
About the role
We are looking to bolster our expertise in development by co-opting a Board Member with experience in delivering housing development strategies and programmes. It is envisaged that successful candidate will also sit on the board of Peaks and Plains DevCo, a separate legal entity that enables us to deliver our development programme in a tax-efficient manner.
In addition to the usual requirements for a co-optee Board Member we are looking for the following Knowledge and experience:
- Current or recent (within three years) non-executive or senior level executive knowledge and experience of overseeing significant residential development programmes in the housing or commercial sectors (non-executive experience is not essential), namely:
- An ability to interpret financial information (appraisals and cashflows) with a focus on financial risk, control and regulatory compliance
- Expertise in commercial management decision-making in development and construction
- A working knowledge of development appraisals and managing commercial and construction risks
Candidates will ideally also have knowledge of cross-tenure development including social rent, shared ownership and private rented sector housing
- Demonstrably strong understanding of regulation and compliance
- Evidence of risk-based decision making at a senior level
- Understanding of the current regulatory environment in which Plains and Peaks operates
How to apply
To apply for this role please complete our online registration form and attach the following documentation (please saving your files with your surname first, followed by your first name and a description of the file in word and pdf format):
- A detailed CV of no more than 2,000 words, including details of positions held and dates (including achievements of relevant to a non-executive position)
- A supporting statement of no more than 2,000 words, explaining your motivation in applying for this position at Peaks and Plains and addressing how you meet the competencies outlined in PART ONE the Person Specification
- Full contact details (name, job title, organisation, phone and email) for two referees (including your current employer if applicable). Please note that we will not take up references without your prior permission
The closing date for applications is 10:00am, Monday 6 July 2020. Your application will be acknowledged and treated with strictest confidence. The job reference code is: ALT278.
Download the required files