Group Chair, The Riverside Group
National remit but head office is in Liverpool
£26,663 per annum (currently under review)
About The Riverside Group
The Riverside Group (“Riverside”) owns over 55,000 homes across England and Scotland, making it one of the country’s largest housing associations. Whilst our headquarters and roots are in the North West of England, we now operate in over 160 local authority areas across every English region and South West Scotland. Our charitable roots go back over 90 years and our clear social purpose underpins everything we do – from helping to address the nation’s housing shortage through our ambitious development programme to delivering life-changing services to rough sleepers. We also have a number of commercial subsidiaries, which ‘gift-aid’ profits back to the charitable parent. Riverside is a respected voice at Westminster and a recognised sector leader with regards to the quality of our governance and financial stability.
About the role
We are now seeking a new Group Chair to lead the organisation strategically when our current Chair Max Steinberg CBE steps down in 2020. The right candidate will be able to demonstrate excellent leadership skills, with a sound knowledge of housing, neighbourhoods and regeneration, and significant experience in an influential non-executive role within a complex and highly regulated sector.
Riverside is committed to supporting and promoting equality, diversity and inclusion, from Group Board level to front-line service delivery. We are keen to attract a wide range of candidates to this role and would particularly welcome applicants from groups that are currently under-represented on our Board.
The remuneration for the role is currently set at £26,663 per annum (currently under review with increase expected from September 2019). All Board Members will be reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses such as travel, in accordance with Riverside Group’s Expenses Policy.
The total time commitment is estimated at three days per month which includes six Group Board meetings, typically held in Speke or a central Liverpool location and monthly meetings with the Chief Executive. Other activities include strategic planning events (typically held annually), induction, appraisal and training/development activities, ambassadorial duties (such as scheme openings) and other ad-hoc meetings for urgent matters.
For further information, please download and review the recruitment pack. If, having read the pack, you wish to have an informal and confidential discussion to understand more about Riverside or the role of Chair, please contact:
- Sarah Palmer, Head of Search, Altair Ltd on 07806 602933 or: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sarah Parr, Principal Consultant, Altair Ltd on 07766 563068 or: email@example.com
How to apply
To apply for the role of Chair at Riverside, please complete our registration form and attach the following documentation (please save your files with your surname first, followed by your first name and a description of the file):
- A detailed CV (no more than 2,000 words) including details of positions held (and dates) and key achievements
- A supporting statement (no more than 2,000 words) explaining your motivation in applying for this position at Riverside Group and also addressing how you meet the requirements of Part One of the person specification
- Full contact details (name, job title, organisation, phone and email) for three referees. Please note we will not take up references without your prior permission
- Completed “Recruitment Monitoring Form” (please click the highlighted text to download the Word version)
The closing date for applications is: 9:00am Monday 22 July 2019 and the role reference code is: ALT253.
Your application will be acknowledged and treated with strictest confidence.
Download the required files