Strategic Review and Commercial Strategy
View our Commercial Services one-pager
- We work with clients to support the embedding of a commercial approach into the delivery of an organisation’s purpose to make every pound spent or earned work as hard as possible.
- We understand the position of an organisation, its supply chain and its customers in the current commercial environment.
- We support robust decision-making on if and how to spend money through a consistent business case approach.
- We establish appropriate and compliant relationships with suppliers informed by business needs, market drivers and regulations to deliver measurable value.
We determine where an organisation is currently positioned commercially through analysis of their third-party spending, contract register and supply chain. Using appropriate tools either already in place within the customer organisation or brought in:
- We scrutinise and report on a minimum of two years of external spend to determine what is being bought and from whom, and for how much. Then taking this basic spend cube analysis further to drive greater insight and inform future commercial improvement initiatives.
- We interrogate the contracts register to determine what commercial arrangements are in place, how they are managed and how they are performing. This informs future commercial improvement and identifies any priority interventions required to ensure the continuity of services or mitigation of risk.
- Through an understanding of spend and contracts, we map the organisational supply chain and identify strategic suppliers, opportunities for commercial improvement, risks and added value.
We conduct a robust and scalable capability review of staff involved in commercial activities to determine current skill levels vs those required to meet the commercial strategy. Training and development programmes can also be developed and implemented as required.
Examples of our work in this area include:
- Commercial thinking sessions across all levels of an organisation, including leadership, procurement teams and technical staff.
- Skills training and workshops for organisation staff on Contract Management and Tendering.
- Evaluation training for customers involved in procurement projects.
As part of a wider-strategic Target Operating Model implementation or as a standalone initiative we work with and support organisations to identify the required capabilities and then develop a business case and roadmap for commercial improvement.
We support organisations through the full Commercial Improvement change process, including the set-up and planning of commercial and procurement programmes, procurement teams etc. Collaborating with other teams in Altair we can also support the delivery of specific projects and activities by reviewing governance structures, processes, policies and procedures system implementation or improved utilisation supporting implementation independent assurance to the board on the delivery.
Working with teams from across Altair we can also provide interim expertise to support the delivery of change programmes across various disciplines, including IT, HR, change, and culture.
- We can provide experienced procurement professionals to advise, support or lead projects throughout the procurement lifecycle, from the identification of the business need to decommissioning of a service or asset and everything in between including tendering.
- Procurement professionals can be provided longer term to assist organisations through surges in commercial activity through commercial improvement or whilst recruiting.
Preparing for Procurement Reform
We can provide support to an organisation to ensure they are prepared for the transformation of Public Sector Procurement through the upcoming changes to the public procurement rules anticipated to land in 2024. This would include:
- Ensuring clients and their stakeholders understand the implications of the reform for their organisation
- Conducting a health check of procurement policies, processes and systems to ensure they are ready for the new regime and reporting back on any additional work required
- Working with the client to implement any improvements needed to ready the organisation for the changes to procurement regulations
We offer a structured methodology to conduct thorough due diligence on strategic suppliers. Our approach covers key pillars, providing a comprehensive understanding of supplier positions and mitigating risks, these pillars are:
- Business Intelligence: Analysing operational and strategic data to evaluate supplier positions.
- Financial Performance: Assessing current and projected financial health and stability.
- Risk Analysis: Evaluating risks from various sources, such as financial, operational, legal, market, and reputational factors.
- Sectoral Analysis: Understanding sector dynamics, trends, and competitive landscape.
- Commercial Insight: Providing market expertise to identify opportunities and support strategic decision-making.
Our methodology, backed by sector experience, ensures proportionate and risk-based due diligence tailored to each organisation’s needs. It mitigates strategic risks and offers comprehensive supplier assessments, and supports informed decision-making and ensures operational stability.
View our due diligence article