Darren Hartley (He/Him)
Darren is a Director within our Strategy and Regulation team and is a governance, regulation and company secretary specialist. He has advised Boards on strategy development, governance and compliance, performance management, and internal controls assurance. In addition to his decade of senior management experience for housing associations, he is also experienced in charity and care sector operating environments.
Governance and regulation; strategy; risk management; corporate performance management; project and programme management; mergers and acquisitions; charity regulation; tenant engagement and empowerment.
Darren has sat on a number of influential national sector panels that have shaped the current regulatory and policy environment for housing.
Darren was Chair of the Residents’ Voice Working Group as part of the Dame Judith Hackitt Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety, set up by the Government following the Grenfell Tower fire disaster in 2017.
He was also an Expert Witness to the 2022 Housing Select Committee Inquiry into Social Housing Regulation.
Recent Altair Assignments
- Governance reviews for housing associations
- Merger and acquisition advice and support, including project managing merger of two supported housing providers into a larger housing association.
- Company secretary advice and support for housing associations and charities,
- Regulatory compliance advice and support
- Preparation support to Registered Providers for In-Depth Assessments (IDAs)
- Specialist investigations and assurance work
Previous roles include the following:
- TAROE Trust – Chief Executive
- Alliance Homes Group – Assistant Chief Executive / Company Secretary
- TAROE Limited – Chief Executive
Qualifications and professional memberships include:
- Degree in Law (LL.B)
- MA in Criminal Justice (Distinction)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Housing Studies (PgDip)
- Chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Housing (CIHCM)
- Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute (FCMI)
- Member of the Institute of Leadership (MIoL)
- Vice Chair of Governors at a primary school
I’m a keen ultra / mountain runner and have completed some of world’s toughest races including being a two-time finisher of the Dragon’s Back Race.
I was UK Trail Running Champion – Ultra Distance (Age Group M35) in 2016.
Latest NewsSee all news
A catch up with Darren Hartley
In this article, we catch up with Darren Hartley, a recently appointed Director at Altair working within our Governance team. […]
Embedding Sustainability in Asset Management
The housing sector is responsible for 18% of emissions across the UK economy. Of this 18%, 69% of emissions are […]
How rightsizing approaches can be a win:win solution for both tenants and providers
Demand for social housing is continuing to outstrip housing supply. With little money available to build or acquire new social […]