A Member of the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply, Spencer has decades of experience working with or within the public sector to inspire, drive and support improvement. As Director of Commercial Services within Altair he is working with clients to achieve their strategic objectives both compliantly and commercially to maximise the value they achieve from their spend and supplier relationships.
Public sector procurement, commercial improvement, supplier relationship management, supply chain management, business process re-engineering, spend analysis, project and programme management, illustration and visual thinking.
Spencer is Director of Commercial Services – responsible for providing Commercial and Procurement services to our clients. He has over thirty years in or around the public sector as a civil servant, local government officer, and consultant specialising in procurement, project management and organisational transformation. During this time Spencer has led projects across multiple sectors including charities, and both central and local government to guide clients through periods of growth and struggle to positive outcomes and better times. During the past five years he has led the improvement and/or delivery of procurement services for numerous clients within the public sector including end to end across the procurement lifecycle.
Recent Altair Assignments
Recent projects which Spencer has been involved in include:
- Aster Group. Strategic Commercial review leading to a management report on the procurement function within the group with proposals for improvement to organisational models, processes and systems.
- L&Q Finance and Housing Management System procurement support. Led the team which provided hands on procurement expertise to the team procuring these two strategic systems leading to successful awards.
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (MCIPS)
- Director of Housing, HE and Local Government at 4C Associates
- Trustee of The Rose Trust, a charity providing housing to local residents in need
- 18 years as a Civil Servant with the Ministry of Defence
Private Sector by Head, Public Sector by Heart published by Brown Dog Books in 2022. One of a team of writers providing insight and advice on procurement within the public sector. Also a member of the editorial team and produced all the illustrations.
Illustrator and cartoonist featuring in many published works, trained barista, mass caterer with ten years experience of cooking for over 100 people at events, drummer, internal martial arts practitioner, photographer and certified RYA narrowboat pilot.
Latest NewsSee all news
A catch up with Darren Hartley
In this article, we catch up with Darren Hartley, a recently appointed Director at Altair working within our Governance team. […]
Embedding Sustainability in Asset Management
The housing sector is responsible for 18% of emissions across the UK economy. Of this 18%, 69% of emissions are […]
How rightsizing approaches can be a win:win solution for both tenants and providers
Demand for social housing is continuing to outstrip housing supply. With little money available to build or acquire new social […]